Biotechnology, Associate in Applied Science
- The dynamic field of biotechnology:
- Applies our understanding of living organisms (plants, animals, microbes) and systems (tissues, cells, and biological molecules)
- Helps develop products and processes that can help improve our society and the overall health of our planet
- Includes areas such as artificial selection, hybridization, cell/tissue culture, genetic engineering and recombinant gene technology, genomics, and applied immunology.
- Is the most rapidly growing sector in the field of biology and a major industry in New Jersey!
Why Study Biotechnology at CCM?
- You will work in state-of-the-art laboratories and learn modern biotechnology methods and instrumentation.
- You will learn fundamental and contemporary skills including DNA fingerprinting, genetic engineering and HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography).
- Through CCM’s Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), you may be provided with the unique opportunity to gain valuable, practical skills working in industry while pursuing your education.
- After graduation, in addition to your Associate in Applied Science Degree, you will
- Have both the theoretical knowledge and practical training needed to immediately begin a career as a biotechnology technician
- Qualify for positions at the technician level performing research, testing and quality control in laboratories in areas such as:
- Research and pharmaceutical laboratories
- Molecular genetics laboratories
- Cosmetic/personal care product laboratories
- Biochemical laboratories
- Food industry or animal care facilities
- Courses in CCM’s Biotechnology program are also perfect if you are retraining for a new career!
Faculty Advisors Are Your Best Resource for Choosing An Appropriate Curriculum
- You are strongly urged to work closely with your academic advisor who can help you make most efficient use of your time at CCM. The wide variety of career options demand careful consideration and planning. Your advisor is familiar with these considerations – and is ready to help! Take advantage of your advisor’s knowledge and expertise.
- For more information on Academic Advisors, please see the “Who is My Academic Advisor” page of the CCM website.