Notice to Federal Student Loan Borrowers
The County College of Morris process federal subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans under the federal Direct Loan program (DL).¬†¬† This program allows all student loan borrowers to borrow ‚Äúelectronically” directly from the US Department of Education.¬†¬†
In order to participate in the Federal Direct Loan Program, borrowers are required to follow and complete the below steps:
- Students must be accepted in a matriculated Degree-Seeking program.
- Apply for your FSA ID, which also serves as an electronic signature for the FAFSA and Direct Loan application and promissory note.¬†To request a¬†FSA ID¬†if you do not already have one, login to : https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. ¬†
- *Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) ‚Äď ¬†¬†(completion required, prior to Step 4.) To apply login to:¬†http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm
- Complete your ‚Äúelectronic¬†version‚ÄĚ¬†Subsidized/Unsubsidized, ¬†Federal Direct Loan – Master Promissory¬†Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling online: https://studentloans.gov. (STEP 3. completion required for processing*
- For current borrowers, you can now manage your account by going to https://www.myedaccount.com/
Note: ¬†All above steps must be completed in order for the County College of Morris Financial Aid Office to receive and certify your Federal Direct Loan. Additionally, Stafford student loan borrowers are required to complete a Stafford EXIT Counseling on exiting the college or if enrolled for less six (6) credits per term.¬†
What happens after you complete the above steps?
- The Financial Aid Office will receive all applications electronically from the Federal Processing Center
- Once received, your application will be reviewed. If additional information is needed our office will contact you by mail or your CCM email.
- Once the review process is completed, your loan will be certified by our office and placed in a ‚Äúdeferrable‚ÄĚ status, applicable towards your semester‚Äôs tuition charges ‚Äď Your electronic MPN must be received in 10 business days prior to the college billing due date.
- Once your term class attendance has been verified, the Financial Aid Office will authorize the release of your loan from the federal processing center to CCM. ¬† If you are expecting a refund, the Bursar Office will assess and issue (check) the amount due to you within 3 – 4 weeks of receiving your class attendance verification.¬†