From CCM’s Hospitality Management and Culinary Arts Department, our first installment of “Here’s the Dish!”
- April 14, 2016 – Every year, billions of pounds of produce in the U.S. goes unharvested or unsold due to it’s looks. Over a third of food that is produced in the world goes straight to waste, and yet we still haven’t “solved” world hunger. Share your support of equally-nutritious foods by sharing photos by adding #UglyFoodIsBeautiful
- March 24, 2016 – You’ve learned about making pasta and sausage from scratch from CPP’s Italy series, but have you wondered how you can incorporate these deliciously rich meals in to day-to-day life? How about with a healthier spin on classic dishes with a vegan twist? You learn to make Italian dishes full of flavor but without any cholesterol or saturated fat such as Pasta e Fagioli, Classic Pesto Spaghetti, Eggplant Parmigiano, Chickpea Picatto, and Almond Pignoli Cookies. Search COS-362-28587 in WebAdvisor Continuing Education to register to join Chef Eileen Mallor on Saturday, April 2nd from 10am-1pm! Learn more information about the class and how to register at:
Continuing Education Schedule
- March 10, 2016 – Have you ever wondered how to make sausage from scratch? From homemade Hot Italian Sausage to fresh Bolognese Sauce, this Saturday we’re cooking up some Italian classics and venturing into the world of sausage making. Search COS-287-28585 in WebAdvisor Continuing Education to register, and pick out your favorite chef’s wear for this weekend.! Join CCM chef Pat Crew on Saturday, March 12th from 10am-1pm for a true culinary experience! Learn more information about the class and how to register at:
Continuing Education Schedule
- February 25, 2016 – Have you ever noticed that you’re more likely to be more stressed out in a messy environment? How do you think a cluttered kitchen would effect your stress levels? your eating habits? Listen to this podcast for some insight on the topic:
- January 4, 2016 – From Dutch Pennsylvania to the Chesapeake, Mid-Atlantic cuisine offers a wealth of classic dishes and flavor combinations that we often don’t get to experience here in New Jersey. Interested in learning how to prepare Mid-Atlantic cuisine for yourself? Join CCM chef Pat Crew on Saturday, February 6th from 10am-1pm for a true culinary experience! Learn more information about the class and how to register at:
Continuing Education Schedule
- December 17, 2015 – Stressed out over finals week? Is it the pressure of the holiday season putting you over the edge? Check out Food Networks list (and recipes) for the top stress relieving ingredients that you can include during this hectic time of the year:
- December 4, 2015 – Tired of eating ham and turkey after Thanksgiving? Check out these menus from around the world and see how other country’s dinner tables look during the holiday season!
- November 26, 2015 – There’s something to be said for culinary creativity, but for most Thanksgiving leaves little room to diverge from tradition. Everyone has their own Thanksgiving traditions, but stuffing/dressing probably has the most variation. Have you ever joined another family for Thanksgiving dinner only to be shocked at what’s on their table?
- November 12, 2015 – The Culinary Arts are moving from the chef’s cutting board to the artist’s easel as food continues to inspire all types creative minds! Check out this video featured earlier this week on the Today Show!
- November 5, 2015 – Many FDA approved artificial colors have stirred up questions about potentially related health issues. Kraft and General Mills are already working towards switching to natural food coloring. Maybe it’s time we all move in the right direction, and demand that even our processed foods look like food.
- October 22, 2015 – Have you ever looked inside of your nearly-full pantry, and still thought, “There’s nothing to eat,”? This website allows you to search multiple recipe databases by ingredients to help you make a dish using as little or as many ingredients as you want that you already have at home!
- October 15, 2015 – Who says you shouldn’t play with your food? Watch these artists recreate masterpieces with food!
- October 8, 2015 – While slaving away in the kitchen is far from glamorous, the popularity of food-related programs has allowed chefs to become modern-day rock stars. Could this trend also help make way for the disparity of a primarily male-run industry? We think so!
- October 1, 2015 – Take a look at the ingredients list the next time you grab a snack. Do you know what is actually in your food? Can you even pronounce what’s in your food? Does that automatically mean that it’s bad for you? This site lists all of the food additives you could imagine – check out some of those scary looking words and decide for yourself!
- September 24, 2015 – Summer may be over, but we’ve all dealt with the sticky burden of melted ice cream. Imagine a world where a bacteria-produced protein could whisk away this problem by slowing the melting process this sweet treat!
- September 18, 2015 – Looking for some recipes to try out this weekend? Check out the Hospitality Mgmt. & Culinary Arts Department’s “Recipes from the Department” page for inspiration! Special requests? Let us know, and we’ll help to provide innovative and delicious recipes for any occasion!
- September 10, 2015 – Creating the perfect meal goes well beyond complementary flavors – some pairings can even increase the body’s ability to absorb nutrients!
- September 3, 2015 – A fun video from the American Chemical Society as we prepare to celebrate International Bacon Day on September 5.
How are you going to celebrate International Bacon Day (9/5)? Heat up that griddle, and take a whiff!
Keep up with CCM’s Hospitality Management and Culinary Arts Department at: https://www.ccm.edu/hospitality