Alternate Route to Teaching
County College of Morris, in collaboration with New Jersey City University (NJCU) and other county colleges of New Jersey, offers New Pathways to Teaching NJ (NPTNJ) an Alternate Route to Teaching program. Please plan to attend this information session if you are interested in becoming a NJ Certified K-12 teacher through the alternate route program.
INFORMATION SESSION Careers in K-12 Teaching Professions
Where to find employers • salaries •
needed training • how to get started
Tuesday, January 15 6, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Student Community Center
Park in Lot 4, 5, 6 or 7
NEW PATHWAYS TO TEACHING IN NEW JERSEY (NPTNJ)
New Pathways to Teaching New Jersey (NPTNJ) is a statewide alternate route teacher preparation program of 400 hours designed to provide candidates with the skills and strategies necessary to become excellent, successful teachers. The program provides a process for individuals who already hold a bachelor’s degree (or higher) to become licensed teachers without having to complete a traditional teacher training program. Candidates can take the NPTNJ Pre-Service coursework (50 hours) at CCM. Following the required 50-hour program, the remaining 350 hours are spread across four semesters or approximately two years of online learning under the oversight and administration of NJCU.
The NPTNJ program is regulated and approved by the N.J. Department of Education (NJDOE) and accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). A Standard Certificate will be issued after the candidate completes the 400 hours of course work, successfully teaches for two years, and completes an edTPA Portfolio with a passing grade. This program prepares candidates for a standard K-12 Teaching Certificate. PreK-3 and Certificates of Technical Education must find alternate programs. (Please see Brookdale County College’s CTE Alternate Route to Teacher Education program.)
Before beginning the alternate route to teaching process, prospective candidates should review the following websites:
- New Pathways site: https://www.njcu.edu/academics/new-pathways-overview
- NJ Department of Education: http://www.nj.gov/education/educators/license
CCM’S NPTNJ INTRODUCTION TO TEACHING – 50 HOUR PRESERVICE COMPONENT
This 50-hour course includes 30 hours of classroom training, 8 hours of observing other NJ certified teachers and 12 hours of direct student contact as a substitute, tutor or after-school program teacher. ALT 113
*Textbook Required, see below for more information. Search ALT
INSTRUCTOR: Robert I. Grundfest, M.Ed., NJ Certified Social Studies Teacher Grades 6-12, NJ Certified Elementary Teacher
28521. 10 Sessions: 30 classroom hours, CEU 3.0
Henderson Hall, HH 111
Time: 6-9 p.m., Mon, Jan 28-Apr 1
28522. 10 Sessions: 30 classroom hours, CEU 3.0
Henderson Hall, HH 111
Time: 6-9 p.m., Mon, Apr 8-Jun 17 (no class May 27)
NJCU New Pathways to Teaching in New Jersey
Semesters 1, 2, 3 and 4 are offered fully online by NJCU.
- Semester 1 (105 hours): may be taken for 7 graduate credits.
- Semester 2 (90 hours): may be taken for 6 graduate credits.
- Semester 3 (90 hours): may be taken for 6 graduate credits.
- Semester 4 (84 hours): may be taken for 5 graduate credits.
- State Performance Assessment via edTPA Portfolio.
To begin the New Pathways to Teaching process:
- Application into Semester One requires the following:
- Verification of completion of 50-hour Pre-service Introduction to Teaching class.
- Letter of employment from school district (if you have secured a job)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited four-year college or university
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Passing PRAXIS II score
- Copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (CE).
- Concurrently during the Preservice phase, candidates should:
- Complete the NJ DOE requirements to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to teach. See the NJ DOE website for the required documents.
- A Provisional Certificate will be issued by the NJDOE through the School District in which the candidate works after candidates have completed the 50 hours of Preservice, have accepted an offer of employment, have confirmed enrollment in the New Pathway’s 400-hour program and are enrolled in a district mentoring program.
(as of the schedule print date, December 2018):
- NON-CREDIT: $550 each semester or $2,200 for all four semesters. Subject to change without notice.
- FOR-CREDIT: Tuition is $711.40 per graduate credit. Based on the NJCU Board of Trustees and subject to change. Click here for latest information. The NJCU Masters Programs that accept NPTNJ credits provides additional information.
For further information, call 201-200-2128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org