Accuplacer Basic Skills Testing
County College of Morris requires that most students take the Accuplacer Placement Test, which will assist you and your advisor in course selection. Your admissions acceptance letter will give you official notification of any placement tests you must take (see bottom of acceptance letter for information). See Exemptions to determine whether you may be exempt from the test. If you must take the placement test, be sure to submit your Application for Admission. You must wait to receive your acceptance letter before calling the Testing Center at (973) 328-5166 to schedule your test time.
To schedule your placement exams online, please click here.
Who must take the Accuplacer Basic Skills Testing?
- If you intend to matriculate (pursue an associate’s degree or academic program certificate), you must take the Accuplacer Test, unless you meet the exemptions listed below.
- Non-matriculated students must take the placement test prior to registering for any courses that require English and Math prerequisites unless they have completed the necessary course prerequisites or met the exemptions listed below.
- If you are pursuing a major that requires a higher level of mathematics competency (Engineering Science, Biology, Chemistry, Math, Biotechnology, Chemical Technology, Environmental Science, Computer Science and Game Development), you must take the College Level Math (CLM) test.
- If English is not your native language, you must take the Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP) test.
For sample questions and testing hours, click here.
Who is exempt from taking the Accuplacer Basic Skills Test?
You do not need to take the test:
- OLD SAT: If you scored 530 or higher for Math** and 540 or higher for Critical reading on the old SAT.
- NEW SAT: If you scored 560 or higher for Math** and 590 or higher for Evidence Based Reading and Writing on the new SAT.
- ACT: If you scored 23 or higher for Math** and 23 or higher for English on the ACT.
- PARCC: If you scored a 4 or 5 on the 11th grade English Language Arts PARCC test and a 4 or 5 on the Algebra 2 PARCC test.**
- If you have earned credit for college level English Composition and Mathematics courses or have completed developmental courses at another regionally accredited college.
- If you have taken the Math Accuplacer placement test at another college. English Placement tests from other colleges are not accepted. Results should be sent to the Testing Office for review and acceptance.
- If you meet any of the exemptions above, please submit the appropriate documentation to the Admissions Office as soon as possible. All test scores and courses taken at previous institutions must be less than 7 years old to qualify for an exemption.
**All Students who are exempt from the Math section of the placement test should sit for CCM’s College Level Math (CLM) exam. The CLM exam will allow the student to test directly into college-level Pre-Calculus or Calculus without having college algebra and/or college level pre-calculus courses. . Students who apply for STEM programs and are exempt from the Math section of the placement test are required to take the CLM exam.