Chemical Technology, Associate in Applied Science
The Dynamic Field of Chemical Technology:
- Supports the chemical, engineering, and oil industries and is a major New Jersey employer.
- Applies our understanding of basic chemistry to create, manufacture, and analyze a variety of items important to our society such as:
- Cosmetic/personal care products
- Gasoline and petroleum-based products
- Foods and products for the food service industry
- Supplies technicians to staff the laboratories of federal, state, and local governments.
Why Study Chemical Technology at CCM?
- Chemical Technology is an ideal major if you enjoy chemistry and laboratory work, and desire a more practical “hands-on” approach to learning that can accelerate entry directly into the job market.
- Employers prefer to hire college-educated chemical technicians since they have both the scientific knowledge and laboratory skills to make them productive with less on-the-job training.
- You will have the opportunity to work in state-of-the-art laboratories, learn wet chemical technology methods and learn to use modern, sophisticated techniques and instrumentation such as gas chromatography (GC), high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR).
- Through CCM’s Cooperative Education Program (Co-Op), you may be provided with the unique opportunity to gain valuable, practical skills working in industry while pursuing your education.
- After graduation, in addition to your Associate in Applied Science Degree, you will
- Have both the theoretical knowledge and practical laboratory training needed to immediately begin a career in chemical technology
- Qualify for positions as a technician in areas such as:
- Testing and quality control
- Chemical development
- Environmental monitoring
- New product development
- Process method development
- Materials development
- Courses in CCM’s Chemical Technology program are also perfect if you are retraining for a new career!
Faculty Advisors Are Your Best Resource for Choosing An Appropriate Curriculum
- You are strongly urged to work closely with your academic advisor who can help you make most efficient use of your time at CCM. The wide variety of career options demand careful consideration and planning. Your advisor is familiar with these considerations – and is ready to help! Take advantage of your advisor’s knowledge and expertise.
- For more information on Academic Advisors, please see the “Who is My Academic Advisor” page of the CCM Web site.
Please note: If you are considering the Environmental Science Option of Chemical Technology, refer to the Environmental Science page for more information.